Port of New Orleans dredged and re-laid, ports reopen to traffic

NEW ORLEANS — The Port of Louisiana is expected to reopen to port traffic Wednesday, as the company that owns the bulk of the harbor where a major earthquake last year killed more than 30 people and crippled the state’s tourism industry reopened it.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said the reopening was a victory for everyone in the city, including the residents of Port Saint-Charles, who were devastated by the earthquake last summer.

The earthquake damaged a dozen bridges and damaged or destroyed nearly 200 buildings, and damaged millions of dollars in property.

Lorraine R. DeLuca, a spokeswoman for the Port of Houston, said the port reopened to the public at 8 a.m.

ET Wednesday.

The reopening of the port was prompted by a decision by the company to resume operations.

It will reopen after the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s New Orleans Division has completed an environmental assessment, said Michael T. Hennessey, the division’s acting chief of enforcement.

The Port Authority also has suspended its work on the Port Saint Charles ferry and other transportation projects, he said.

The authority is working with other federal agencies to address the risks of a large-scale earthquake.

The quake and tsunami hit on March 25, 2016, causing widespread damage and evacuations in New Orleans and other cities across the U.S. and Canada.

More than 4,000 people were injured and millions were displaced.